Baystate Dental of Belchertown
131 North Main Street, Belchertown, MA 01007
Inside your tooth is a type of soft tissue called pulp, which contains nerves and blood vessels and supplies nutrients to your tooth. When this soft pulp tissue becomes infected or damaged as a result of advanced tooth decay, you can experience a significant amount of tooth pain. Endodontic treatment, or root canal surgery, is a procedure that removes damaged and infected pulp and can permanently restores the full function of your tooth.
Once the soft pulp tissue inside your tooth becomes infected or damaged, it cannot repair itself, and treatment is needed to save the tooth. If you are suffering from any of the symptoms below, please contact our dental office as you may need a root canal treatment.
Both a general dentist and a specialist called an endodontist are qualified to perform root canals. If you’re looking for an experienced root canal dentist, contact us today to schedule an appointment with one of our skilled dentists.
A basic root canal procedure can be completed in one to two hours. Here are the steps of the procedure:
1. Your tooth is numbed so you won’t feel any pain.
2. To keep the area dry during the procedure, a small protective sheet is placed over the area.
3. The dentist makes an opening in the crown of the tooth to access the pulp chamber.
4. The pulp and decayed nerve tissue are removed, and the dentist uses small tools to clean out and shape the inner part of the tooth.
5. To remove debris and disinfect the inner portion of the tooth, your dentist might put fluid into the exposed canals.
6. The canals are filled with a rubber-like material called gutta percha and then sealed.
7. To prevent the tooth from breaking and to restore biting function, a crown is placed on the tooth.
Your root canal cost depends on a variety of factors, such as the severity of damage to the affected tooth, which tooth requires treatment, the number of roots in the affected tooth, and whether you receive treatment from an endodontist or a general dentist. Overall, your total treatment cost is much less compared to tooth removal or replacement with an artificial tooth. If you have dental insurance, your plan may cover a portion of your total cost. For more information about the cost of treatment and to receive a comprehensive evaluation, contact us today.
The standard for this procedure is a root canal crown that can be performed on molars and front teeth. Alternatives for this treatment include pediatric pulpotomy in which the damaged pulp is removed, leaving the nerve intact, and apicoectomy, which is typically performed after an unsuccessful prior treatment.
Although the thought of dental root canal treatment may make you feel uneasy, the use of numbing medicine will keep you comfortable during the procedure. In fact, the treatment itself is a common solution to pain from a severe toothache. Don’t let mouth pain affect your daily activities or keep you up at night! Schedule an appointment today, and find relief by getting a root canal in Belchertown.
Call our office at (413) 241-7686